Grant Application Guidelines
Letter of inquiry: no later than 5:00 pm Eastern Time on February 1 and July 1
Awards are made in June and November.
Criteria of Support
In addition to the mandated grants required to be disbursed each year by the Foundation, grants to other organizations may be awarded for general operating support and for specific programs, capital campaigns and endowment funds. The Foundation does not make grants to individuals, for special events, or for fundraising benefits. The grant making highlights four program areas and a dedicated program to endowment funds; general grant categories have been allocated as follows:
- Medical Research
- Social Services
The Foundation awards grants only to nonprofit, charitable organizations designated as exempt from income taxes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and identified by the IRS as a public charity and whose activities and programs are compatible with the mission and objectives of the Solon E. Summerfield Foundation.
Grant Application Process
- Follow the link to begin the Application Process and submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) Form to the Foundation. LOI forms are due no later than 5:00 pm Eastern Time on February 1 and July 1 for consideration in the June and November funding cycles, respectively. We encourage you to submit your application as early as possible.
- To begin the Application Process, you will need to Create a New Account and follow the prompts. After you have created your account (the next time you log on) you will use your email address and password to access your application information.
The online LOI Form will require the following information:
- Project Name
- Summary of Grant Request
- Amount Requested
- Program Area (Arts, Education, Medical Research, Social Services)
- Geographic Area (DC, MD, ME, MO, NC, NYC, VA)
- Funding Type (General Operating, Program Support, Capacity Building, Capital Campaign, Other)
- Project Budget
- Project Overview
- Tax Status (501(c)(3) Upload)
- Year Funded
- Total of Annual Operating Budget
- New Project
- Target Population
- Total Number of Individuals Served
- Geographic Area Detail
- Electronic Signature
- After review, and upon acceptance, the Foundation will invite you to complete the formal Grant Application. Unless you are otherwise notified, Grant Applications are due 5:00 pm Eastern Time on February 28 and July 30 for consideration in the June and November funding cycles, respectively.
The online Application Form will require the following information:
- Mission Statement
- Organization History
- Board Size and Participation
- Organization Challenges
- Primary Purpose of Project
- Population Impact
- Project Sustainability
- Project Support / Other Sources of Funding
- Define Success
Supporting Documents (to be uploaded):
- IRS 501(c)(3) letter
- List of Board Members
- Budgets (previous actual/projected and current projected): Project and Current Operating
- Financial Audit
- IRS Form 990
- The Solon E. Summerfield Foundation will acknowledge receipt of your submitted Grant Application via email.
- If funding is approved, you will be notified.
- You will be required to submit a report and self-evaluation for the funded grant.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The Foundation is to be notified if the funding goal has been reached prior to the Foundation's decision, or if the project has been cancelled.
- If a site visit is considered necessary or desirable, a Foundation representative will call to schedule an interview with the principals of your organization.